Thursday, November 5, 2009

Why am I doing this?

The idea for this blog came to me after spending hours online, searching for book reviews to help me discern whether or not particular books were acceptable for my boys (ages 14 and 11) who read ahead of grade level. I can usually find good summaries of the books plus editorial reviews on barnesandnoble.com or amazon.com, but as a mom concerned about the moral and spiritual content of the books my kids read, I feel that the reviews come up short. I end up reading many of the books myself before passing them to the boys, but I find it difficult to keep up with their reading pace. If you are checking this blog, then maybe you are feeling the same way, and I hope you'll find something here that helps you.
One site my husband and I refer to frequently in choosing movies for our family is pluggedinonline.com put out by Focus on the Family. We appreciate the thoroughness of the reviews, and believe it helps us know exactly what we are getting into when we choose to see a movie. Thinking I would love to see this type of review for books, I decided to pattern my categories after this website. I hope you find the reviews helpful, and I am always open to feedback and discussion around the books I post. My only wish is that I had had the idea for this blog sooner! I've read so many children's books but didn't take thorough notes on them. I hope to go back and reread some of those as well. Occasionally, if I find them worth noting, I may also post reviews of books written for adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment